1. Accept the fact that there simply isn’t enough time to do everything. That’s why it’s so important to work on the most important things. If you’re always focused on the important things, both in your business and personal life, you’ll always be making the greatest contribution by using your time wisely.
2. Establish a relaxed state of mind. Keep calm. Stay focused on what you have to do. Ignore everything else. Too much additional stress can make the whole task that much more challenging. Your mental state is something you can control. Don’t let outside pressures get to you. Understand what must be done and do it in a calm, relaxed, self-assured manner.
3. Stop trying to be a perfectionist. It’s easy to get caught up in the trap of trying to make something just a little bit better. But often the results of the additional tinkering make little difference in the overall outcome, though the cost in both time and unnecessary stress can be sizable.
4. Accept your productivity shortcomings as human nature. It does you no good to beat yourself up. When you’ve been less than productive, you need to stop and re-focus. Don’t dwell on past failures—simply accept it as human nature. Then, get to work.
5. Treat your workspace as a place of productivity. Condition your mind to acknowledge your office as an area where things get done. Do this consistently and you’ll soon find yourself accomplishing more whenever you’re there. Find other space for other less-productive activities, events and actions. Keep your workspace reserved for high-performance activities.